Last Updated on
Have you ever wanted to be able to send messages back and forth to your friends and family members, while you hunt or ski? Although cell phones have improved significantly over the years, they’re ineffective in some particular situations.
During these predicaments, it is best to purchase and utilize a pair of walkie talkies. With these, you and your family members will be able to communicate back and forth for free and without interruption.
Of course, purchasing a pair of walkie talkies isn’t easy! Below, you’ll discover everything you need to know, before making your decision.
What to Look For in Walkie Talkies
When you own a high quality pair of walkie talkies,it is possible to improve your personal safety, when you’re out and about.
Of course, you’ll need to make sure that you choose the right pair for your particular situation. There is an entire set of characteristics and features that should be considered. These will be broken down below for your consideration.
- Your Location – It should be known that there are specific walkie talkies, which are designed for use in the United Kingdom and Europe. These are typically referred to as PMR 466 Radios. Unfortunately, they cannot be legally used in the United States or Canada. Therefore, you should know the laws of your specific country, before making your pick.
- How Long You Will Be Using Them – What is your intended purpose for these radios? Are you only going to use them occasionally, when you head into the great outdoors? Or maybe you only want to provide you child with a toy that will keep them entertained and busy? Make sure that you place a realistic importance level on this item, as this will help you determine how much to spend.
- Budgeting – Although there are some inexpensive walkie talkies on the market, others are very costly. With this in mind, you will want to make sure to set a realistic budget. This will work in conjunction with the importance level mentioned above. For less important purposes, you can purchase walkie talkies, which are less expensive and vice versa.
- UHF vs. VHF – When purchasing this type of radio, you will find that they’re available in two signal types, UHF or VHF. Usually, UHF signal is the best, but this particular type of radio will not be able to communicate effectively with VHF radios. UHF radios are great, because their signal is able to pass through obstacles easily, but you’ll need to make sure that your radio is equipped with a great antenna. VHF radios are better, if you’re going to maintain a clear line of sight with the receiver, such as when you’re outside in the wide open.
- Range – Range is absolutely vital. You will find that walkie talkies are typically categorized as short-range or long-range. This refers to the distance that the radio’s signal is capable of travelling. Long-range tends to be a tad more expensive, but they’re worth it in many different circumstances.
- Channels – Walkie talkies transmit audio over a shared frequency, which is generally referred to as a channel. As long as the frequency used is legal in your country, this isn’t a big deal. Also, you should inspect your area and ensure that you won’t receive a lot of interference with other radios in your area and choose the radio, which offers the least used channel.
- Audio Quality – The audio quality provided by the walkie talkies is also extremely important! You’ll want to ensure that you’re able to clearly understand your friend or family member and vice versa.
- Battery Life – Since these radios tend to be wireless, they always utilize some type of rechargeable battery. In this category, you should make sure to choose a battery that offers the longest life possible! This will ensure that the radio doesn’t die on you, while you’re out in the wilderness.
- Audio Jack – Would you like to be able to use your walkie talkie with a pair of headphones? If so, you will want to make sure that an audio jack is available!
- Belt Carrier – In order to ensure that your walkie talkie is effortless to use and carry, you should consider choosing one that comes with a belt harness or carrier. This will allow you to carry it around your pants in a hands-free fashion.
Overall, all of the above factors are absolutely vital and none of them should be ignored. Below, you will be able to find reviews for some of the best walkie talkies on the market!
Top Rated Walkie Talkies