As technology has advanced several leaps and bounds, the way people listen to and enjoy the music has evolved. Suffice to say, those old
Walkman devices are all but extinct, at this point. Instead, music lovers are relying on much higher tech devices and technology to stream their music.
This should be noted, when attempting to install a home audio system. What speakers are the most efficient for the bookshelf? Corded or cordless? Bluetooth or Wi-Fi?
Each is important questions that need to be answered and there are many more to explore. Below, you will find information that can guide you in the right direction.
What to Look For
- When attempting to purchase speakers for your bookshelf, there are several different elements that should be explored. Although price is unfortunately going to become a factor for many individuals, it is not one that should be used solely. Remember that splurging will provide better quality speakers, so it is essential to find a middle ground and stick with it! Below, you will be able to discover other aspects that should be considered.
- Power Rating – Although one would believe power range to be exceptionally important, it is not. In fact, the numbers are often colluded by the manufacturers, which makes them unreliable and meaningless. Since the power is supposed to tell you the exact amount of power the speaker can withstand, you should make sure to get a higher rated speaker. Be careful though, because RMS numbers are often misrepresented or done so in different manners by different manufacturers.
- SNR – The SNR, or signal-to-noise ratio, is imperative, when shopping for bookshelf speakers. This specific figure will help you determine the amount of overall clarity of the sound and the amount of signal that will be corrupted. A higher number here will result in reduced background noise.
- Harmonic Distortion – Although an amplifier is capable of increasing the volume levels, it can also diminish the sound’s quality. By looking at the speaker’s THD level, you will be able to determine how much the sound will be depreciated, at higher volumes. Be sure to choose speakers that are 1% or lower.
- Speaker Range – Speaker range is much more important than power. If the world was perfect, you would be able to get a speaker, with a range of 20Hz to 20,000Hz, but this usually isn’t possible. Take note that the different types of systems are far less impactful. For instance, 2-way and 3-way speakers won’t make that much of a difference. Instead, try to get speakers with the aforementioned range.
- Speaker Enclosure Material – The material, which is used to wrap the speaker enclosure, is vital! If it isn’t high quality, it will produce very poor sound quality. This is especially important, when selecting bass drivers!
- Size and Shape – Since you desire to place the speakers on your shelf, you should take the time to examine the size and shape. Be sure that their design will allow them to sit on the allotted spot, without trouble.
- Cables – When selecting your speakers, you should also take note of the connector cables! These cables and connections are very impactful. It is typically best to chooser a heavier cable, or lower gauge, because these cables have less electrical resistance. This ensures that the audio is altered and changed less. You can also match your wire’s ohm ratings to the rating of the speakers that you select.
- Reading Reviews – When attempting to purchase your speakers online, you’re going to need to work harder to get the right speakers. Reading customer reviews is extremely helpful! Remember that the most important factor of the speakers is how they actually perform and the sound that they actually produce. Therefore, you should take the time to read as many customer reviews as possible, before making your choice.
- Design and Appearance – Although this is a little less impactful, the design of the speakers should be considered. Make sure that they’ll look great inside of your home. You don’t want them to distract attention away from the movie or song that you’re enjoying, after all! Although one would believe that speakers under £500 wouldn’t be sufficient for home use, this isn’t the case! There are some brilliant speakers under that price tag. Below, you will find a breakdown of some of these!
Top Rated Studio Bookshelf Speakers